If your infant car seat in not installed properly, your child’s life could be in serious danger! Every different vehicle has different instructions on installation of the car seat . It is important to follow these main tips to ensure that your car seat is installed properly.
After reviewing these tips please follow your vehicles manufacturers specific instructions. If you follow these helpful tips you should find it to be fairly easy for installation.
For Rear facing Infant car seat
- Important notes here is the infant seat can only be rear facing.
- Always install your infant seat in the back seat.
Read your car seat’s instruction manual and your vehicle’s owner manual. Pay close attention to the information about your vehicle’s seat belt system, and how to “lock” the seat belt.
Every seat and vehicle is different, which affects the way you’ll install your particular seat.
Place the car seat base in the back seat of your vehicle.
Carefully thread the seat belt through the rear-facing belt path. Check to make sure there are no twists in the seat belt.
Buckle the seat belt
- Lock the seat belt
- Press down firmly on the car seat base and tighten.
- The base should not move side-to-side or front-to-back more than 1 inch.
- Make sure your car seat base is installed at the correct recline angle.
- Babies must ride sitting semi-reclined to keep the airway open.
- Most infant car seats have built-in angle indicators or adjustors to assist you.
- As your child grows, the angle may need to be adjusted, so be sure to read the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Attach the infant carrier to the base.